Our Guided Reading groups are up and running! It is so exciting to see the students growing as readers! This time of our day is when each student receives targeted instruction on his/her appropriate level from the teachers in small groups while the rest of the students are engaged in independent literacy activities from our Daily Five (Six) Choices.
Please have your child read their Guided Reading book to you at home often and praise and encourage their progress! Then, RETURN IT IMMEDIATELY TO THEIR FOLDER SO THAT WE WILL HAVE IT TO READ THE NEXT DAY IN CLASS!
Sight Words should be sent back to school as soon as your child has memorized his/her list. Please work on them at home OFTEN!
Everyone is moving along nicely and it shows in our ability to READ!!!
The Daily Five (Six in our room) includes:
1. Read to Self- we practice reading books on our own reading level.
2. Read to Someone- we read books to or with a buddy.
3. Work on Writing- we write stories with text and illustrations of our choosing.
4. Listen to Reading- stories are read aloud to us on through a discman or leap reader.
5. Work with Words- we practice making and writing sight and other words.
6. Computers - we explore phonics and reading skills on an appropriate website such as starfall, abcmouse or abcya.
When we returned in January we got to work with OUR BUDDIES again. With a new year, came NEW BUDDIES! While we still love our previous buddies and value the connection we have built, it's nice to get to spend time with someone new! Students were introduced to their new buddies and spent time discussing each others family communities and getting to know each other. We also created family glyphs about their families like we had done with our families. This helped us to understand and get to know our new buddies and build up our buddy community!